Defence Business Services (DBS) was formed on the recommendation of Lord Levine’s Defence Reform report 2011 and the Grimstone review to deliver corporate services across the Ministry of Defence (MoD); including, MoD HR, payroll, finance, vetting and information services across the MoD.
In 2012 the Ministry of Defence (MoD) let a four year contract to bring Serco and Accenture in as a management partner, running DBS on a gain share basis where they were paid for running the organisation and additionally received 40% kick back against every cut they made in the organisation.
In April 2014, DBS merged with the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) to create one enabling, transactional organisation for shared services across MOD.
The Serco, Accenture management insert contract was not extended in April 2016 because doing so did not offer value for money.
DBS is a critical enabler for Whole Force and defence outputs. It supports both current and veteran military personnel as well as MoD civilians.
- DBS employs employees over 2500 people, both military and civilian.
- DBS manages payroll and pension of £20BN.
- DBS handles over 1.1M customer enquiries.
- DBS processes over 4.2M invoices worth £26BN.
- DBS generate accruals and accounts for £118BN fixed assets.
- DBS includes the MoD Medal Office (MoDMO) issuing around 130K medals
- DBS includes the Joint Causality and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) managing casualty notification and administration 24 hours a day, 7 days week
- By the end of 2016 DBS will handle all the United Kingdoms Security and Vetting.
- DBS supports and enables veterans and their dependents welfare worldwide.
- DBS hosts the defence intranet with 70M hits a year.
Defence Business Services holds very sensitive information, supports directly Whole Force management and deployment, supports our military communities both current and veteran and under pins the whole financial management of the ministry of defence.
We believe the proposed privatisation of DBS is sheer madness. It will leave sensitive data insecure, allow the public purse to be denuded of efficiency savings, delivery outputs, risk management and control of future change costs.
Defence Business Services should be - In Defence for Defence